Saturday, March 28, 2015

A handstand - at home strength building



I stood staring at the wall.  Hmmmmmm, it was just me and Elsa (my Standard Poodle) at home.  What if I slipped?  What if I didn't make it?  What if I made it and my wrist broke?  It had been a VERY long time since I'd done a handstand.  It wasn't that big of a deal to do; but my confidence was a bit shaky being that no one was there to spot me.  PLEASE, if you are going to attempt something like a handstand; do it when someone is around to spot you.  

Spot:  to place or position on a particular place.  

This means that you want someone there, hovering when you make your first attempt.  



Working on balance


Of course I went ahead and just did it.  After staring at the wall, I just did it.  I didn't stay up there long, and quit while I was ahead. It felt amazing; nothing happened and it was easy peasy.  While I was upside down with my feet on the wall; I realized that although it was easy, it took a great deal of strength.  Handstands suddenly became a daily thing.  I was determined to make it no big deal at all. 

I use to walk on my hands when I was much younger; a handstand against the wall is the first step to maybe doing that again.  My first handstand was pretty far away from the wall.  I will get closer and closer, trying to retain the balance that was once very easy.  Having a wall close by is essential of course; flipping over and landing on your back when you are in your 50s is not like doing it as a teenager or in your 20s.   


More balance, by putting my feet on the wall with bent legs I have my body more straight up and down.

As you can see I'm having fun.  :)  Handstands everywhere now.  :)  Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment