Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Plodding along



Are you stuck in a rut?  Either you haven't started to workout and want to, or you've been doing the same thing for years and years and years.  I see folks at the gym all the time who have been doing the same thing for as long as I've seen them and they look exactly the same.  That's fine if you are wanting to just waste time, but why bother?  If you aren't getting into shape then you need to switch it up.  If you aren't moving, then you need to start. 


One of my very first recommendations for anyone wanting to work out is to get some great looking and comfortable new duds.  You need something that you will feel comfortable in, both how you feel and look.  If you feel comfortable and not self conscious then you're on the right track.  The more comfortable you get with being in the gym or moving and getting into shape may have you looking for something a litter cuter down the road.  

Perhaps it is that I am a result driven person but I could not keep going to the gym; doing the same thing day in and day out with no results.   The folks I see at the gym are doing the identical movements I saw them doing years ago and they don't look any fitter than before.   Variety is the spice of life; but taking that first step may be needed first.  If you are just thinking about it; stop thinking and do.  Take that leap of faith and move.  

If you have been doing the same thing for years and years without seeing any results, stop!  Think about doing something else.  Perhaps lifting weights, doing yoga, stability ball or walking.  Whatever you've been doing hasn't worked.  Maybe it's because it's really just repetitive easy movements that barely work any muscles.  Or you've been doing it for so long that your body could do it in sleep mode.  You need a change, you need a kick in the ass.  

Taking that first step can be scary; so make it a small step, one that you can manage.  If you step too big too soon, it may lead to frustration which can lead to halting all together.  That my friend is not the goal.  

This much I know is true.  The more you move, the more you can move and the easier it is to move.  If you just sit there doing nothing; then you will atrophy.  Your joints will suffer from lack of muscle, tendon and ligament protection and you will become weak and unsteady.  

Along with my lifting I have added yoga and the stability ball. I also walk a lot and I have seen a big change since I started focusing on walking further and further with added jogging.  I am working very hard on my core and balance which is great for anyone and everyone to start doing.  

Take that first step today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment