Sunday, March 8, 2015

Moving through life

My daughter Nicole doing situps, being timed by my son Brad. 


Moving is such an important part of life.  The more you move the more you can move.  I know people who have a difficult time getting up out of a chair or walking down the driveway.  Their problem stems from lack of movement.  "Use it or lose it" could not be more true.  When you don't move, as in exercising type movement your muscles atrophy.  When you offer no challenge to your muscles, no job to do on a regular basis they go on vacation.  But you can get them back from their vacation; it will just take work and dedication. 

I like to do a wide variety of exercises.  Of course weights is my favorite but my stability comes a very close second.  There are so many strength exercises that you can do with a stability ball.  I am really starting to love yoga and I do love my daily walks with Elsa, which now include jogging.  I'm not a huge lover of jogging for several reasons but the biggest reason is the impact.  Everything in moderation, so for me a little jogging goes a long way as I prefer to do my distance by power walking. 

Moving is the most essential part of keeping the ability of moving intact.  How many people have aches and pains and sit on the side lines; only to worsen their ability to move?  Too many.  We need to move, we need to exercise and keep our muscles, tendons and joints fluid.  When we move, we ask our body to oblige; if our body has nothing to use to move then it makes it very difficult.  The more you move, the move you can move. 

I am debating movement today.  Will I head to the gym or grab my yoga mat and stability ball?  Not sure yet but I do know that I will be getting ready to exercise.  Putting on my workout clothes is the first step in getting some movement in.  Even if I'm not in the mood, I will throw on my workout gear and then I am in the mood. 

Now get up out of that bed, off the couch and MOVE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment