Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I can't

 
Just move.


I've talked to several people about lifting and they immediately tell me that "they can't."  "No I can't, I have a bad back; and if I'm on my feet too long my knee gives out."  Quite the predicament eh?  What you have before you is a vicious cycle.  You can't work out because you don't work out.  You have a hard time moving about because you have a lack of muscle.  Lack of muscle makes it very difficult to move comfortably; it also puts a huge strain on your joints.  When there is strain on your joints with no muscle, bad things happen to your body. 

I remember a conversation when I ever so gently tried to introduce just the idea of a bit of movement to a non moving person.  "What if, you just..."  I started to ask and was quickly stopped "I can't."  I tried again "maybe if you only..." I gently continued.  No, "I can't."  So I stopped, it was getting no where.  I so badly wanted to help but when someone does not want help, you cannot help. 

Muscle atrophy is when muscles waste away. The main reason for muscle wasting is a lack of physical activity.

When you don't move, you lose muscle; which makes it difficult to move.  Many people in this predicament fail to look at the big picture; where it all started.  The lack of movement starts it; then you might have weight gain which makes it even harder to move.  The cycle begins and picks up momentum the longer you are sedentary.  So ya gotta move.  Of course that first step is tough; and it should be a very small and slow one;  but you should take it.  You can get yourself out of the vicious cycle by simply stepping out.  Picture a circle, picture you going round and round, but not moving; until one day you stick a foot out of the circle and end it then and there. 

The less you move, the harder it is to move; and it gets harder the older we get.  As we age the more muscle we lose; so we must keep moving and moving well to simply retain our muscle.  If you want to be strong you must lift, pull, hoist and push to promote growth.  Moving will make you strong; which will make it easier to move.  I hate that our society has a pill for everything.  If you have a lack of muscle and hurt when you move, there's a pill for that.  How about a steroid injection?  That'll fix everything, right?  Wrong.  If you continue to not move; you will continue to have problems.  The only thing that will help you to feel better when you move, is moving.  You can continue to take the pills and shots but it is only masking the problem, no muscle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment