Friday, June 5, 2015

Yoga and muscles



Waking up this morning, my eyes were not even open and I could feel my back.  "What the heck did I do yesterday?" I thought to myself.  Climbing out of bed to get my morning coffee, I was still in that fog before you wake up.  Wow, I felt like I'd done 500 push ups.  My upper back felt like it had an intense workout but I couldn't remember what I'd done... That is until I remembered my yoga.

I did a long yoga session yesterday.  I focused on plank moves with lots of variations.  Ahhhhhh that is where my back got worked out.  I've only been squeezing in a few short yoga sessions lately so yesterday's full on major yoga workout paid off.  I felt it and it felt great.  I love the feeling of an intense workout, not too much pain; just enough to know that you did a great workout. 

That old saying "no pain no gain," not true.  You can stay in shape without pain but if you want to build muscles and get stronger there will be pain.  But there should not be too much or you are doing too much.  Muscle pain comes from using muscles that you haven't used for a long while.  Sort of like "hey you, behind the shoulder muscle, wake up."  When you work a muscle that doesn't get much action, they kick into gear.  A little pain and the muscle is better and stronger, ready for the challenge. 

I workout hard most of the time but I've had to cut back on my pulling (rowing type) moves until my elbows heeled.  Yesterday's yoga plank workout really worked my upper back.  I am still amazed at how good yoga is for you.  Not only does it work your flexibility, mobility and balance but it is crazy good for your strength. 

Yoga does not involve any additional weight; only your own that can be extremely tough to lift.  You don't have to be heavy to have a hard time lifting your weight.  It can be tough if you don't do it regularly.  Things like push ups, planks and hand stands are all wonderful strength building moves that simply use your own weight.  Can you lift yourself?

Now, off to the gym, it's leg day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment