Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Blasting leg day



Yesterday was leg day.  When I got to the gym I wasn't really feeling it.  You know those days you hit the gym and sort of just do what you have to and then leave?  Well, it started out like that but very quickly turned into "blast the legs" day.  Being that I wasn't feeling it, I worked on my mojo.  I sat on the leg press machine where I start out light and worked up; which is my typically leg warm up.  

I start with 50 lbs and do two sets of 15.  I then move up two plates at a time doing two sets of 12 reps until I get to my highest weight, which is 210.  I could go higher but I don't want to blow out my knees; something definitely worth considering.  I see people on the leg press rack doing insanely heavy weight but if their knee goes, it's really going to go; as in across the gym type of explosion.  So building muscle is good but blowing out joints, not so much.  

After my leg press work I was pumped.  With my power mode back in place I decided to blast my legs.  Legs are strong, far stronger than most people think.  I know that I have a hard time working them out to feel any pain the next day.  Yes they will be wobbly when I really blast them but it's tough to get that next day burn for me.  My legs are the strongest thing on me for sure.

Leg workout 

- My leg press work
- leg extension, start at 50lb and work up to 110lb
- leg curls, start at 30lb and work up to 70
- squats, 4 sets of 15 with a 40 lb bar
- dead lifts 3 sets of 8 with 40 lb bar
- glute press, 3 sets each leg 70lb

Then I worked my abs, bigtime.  

So I blasted and it felt amazing.  Having strong legs is so important, especially the older you get.  Muscle mass helps with balance.  Having strong legs just makes sense; strong legs help you get around really easily.  Stretching and working on balance are also very important.  Doing these three things:  building muscle, stretching and balance work will have you skipping and skittly skatting you through your day to day.  When is your leg day?

No comments:

Post a Comment