Friday, June 12, 2015

Lumber Jacking



Conquered

Yep, today was my day off, sort of.  I was going to do some yoga but then I thought of the tree that needed to be chopped.  I've taken all of the leafed branched off and what is left is the stump and larger branches.  They are all at least 4-5" across and the stump is about 10".  So I decided to take some of the bigger branches down so I can finally get to the stump.  "Easy" she said, now that all the lethal thorns are gone with the leaved branches.  Hmmmmm, not so much.  

Of course it would probably have been much easier if I was using a sharp bucksaw, which I wasn't.  It was easier than the smaller saw I'd been using but I had to saw my butt off to get through one branch.  I do have to say that it was an amazing workout.  I hit muscles that I could never hit in the gym.  After about five big branches my arms were about ready to fall off; so I moved onto pulling the horrid asparagus ferns that are trying to take over my slope.  

Again, crazy workout.  I pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled.  My triceps, lats and upper back felt all the pulling.  My Achilles tendons felt the stretch from working on the slope and my legs got a good workout simply from keeping me on the slope and not flying off  when the ferns let go.  It is very satisfying getting a great workout and seeing progress as far as tree downing and weed removal.  

It is my kind of work, I love it.  This type of task is definitely made easier by being strong.  I remember when we first moved into this house and I'd spent hours on the slope.  It had been a lot harder than it was today; I am in better shape now than I was eight years ago.  Physical chores can seem daunting but if you look at them as a great workout; you can actually enjoy them, maybe.  That is if you are into getting filthy and exhausted.  I love it.  :)

1 comment:

  1. when I re arrange my potted plants in the terrace....they turn out to be dead lifts, hip hinge rows and weighted squats

    ReplyDelete