Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Better


Working on my shoulder stand while Elsa waits for me to toss her ball, AGAIN!


For several months I have been babying my arms.  I had an injury so I've been ever so careful not to aggravate it; and have been working out everything around the injury.  I took several weeks off but that didn't help at all so I decided to get back at it and it is now better!!!!  I absolutely HATE not working out and even after a mere two weeks off, I felt it.  No, that was just not going to work for me.  So without hitting the injury spot I worked around it (my elbows) literally.  My triceps, biceps, forearms and chest while resting my elbows.  

I'd been pushing it too hard for a while and so my body let me know.  I had what is commonly known as climber elbow injury or golfer's elbow.    Ahhh, age, ain't it grand?  Not always.  :(  As we age we must adjust and be smart about working out.  Admittedly I often push myself a tad hard; I am very self competitive and hate when I can't do something that I could in my 20s.  An injury is your body speaking loud and clear.  "Okay, okay I get it, I'm almost 53," I relent to my body.  But being over 50 does not mean that you stop; no, it means that you get going.  

The less you move the more you lose, fact.  You don't have to be over 50 to lose it either; although for some reason many people think that age and losing mobility go hand in hand.  No, no, no.  As we age we must work harder to keep toned and flexible.  If you don't you will lose it, fact.  The move flexible you are and the more muscle tone you have, the better you feel when you move.  

Getting started can seem daunting but if you take it slow, succeed and see progress then you'll keep it up.  If you look at exercising as a privilege and not a punishment or torture then you'll be more apt to continue.  You will have more aches and pains as you get older just because; but having the body that you want is worth it.  Do you want to be one of those on the sidelines saying "I can't?"  Not me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment