Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I'm back in the zone




Yep, why not have fun dressing for the gym?

I've had a little break from the gym but was back at it this morning.  Several life things were thrown my way at the same time so I needed a break.  This morning I was determined to get back at it so I donned my coolest pants that my daughter gave me from Reebok and pulled on my red workout shoes.  Yes they are loud and crazy but they feel amazing and make me smile.  :)  

I decided to take it easy.  It had been almost a week since my last upper body workout so I did a few key exercises and skipped some others because of an arm injury I was recovering from.  Triceps are probably the biggest thing that needs attention on most woman so they got done.  I got up on the assisted pull up machine and did some great tricep dips.  I have to say that it is one of my favorite exercises and does far more than just triceps.  

Then on the same machine I did just a few sets of about 12 pull ups.  I have found that these two exercises; pull ups and tricep dips work out the entire upper body.  You can set the weight to really help you out or lower it so that it is more difficult.  It is probably my favorite go to right now.  

I worked on my chest doing cable presses and dumbell presses on the bench.  Laying down flat on the bench with my feet up on the end I took 2 - 20 lb dumbells and held them directly over my head.  Lowering them slowly to just how far you could if you were laying the floor doing it.  If you go past parallel to the bench you risk hyper extending and damaging tendons.  

Then sitting on the bench I moved onto shoulders.  With the same 20lb dumbells I did shoulder press.  Make sure that your back is not arched by tucking in your butt; you lift the weights from shoulder level, straight up and back down again.  Very slow with precise form.  

Of course if you are just getting into lifting a 5 or 10lb dumbell will be more than enough until you can or even want to move up in weight.  

Summer sleeveless dress and tank top season is just around the corner.  These few exercises can let you feel comfortable in a no sleeve shirt. 




No comments:

Post a Comment