Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Need some help?

I'd just finished up my leg press work and had taken one of the six 45lb plates off.  It is not something I enjoy but it must be done; not everyone uses the same weight so I need to take them off, etiquette.  One off and five to go and a tall guy approaches, saying something to me.  I can't hear him because I'm in my zone; my music is blasting away so I pull a plug out of my ear to hear what he has to say.  "Need some help?"  I was sort of dumbfounded for a moment and paused; but it didn't take me long to blurt out "NO."  "Oh, I was just going to help you," he says; placing the plate back on the machine and walks away.  Really?  I was a little taken back; what had just happened?  Was this a guy just trying to be polite and chivalrous?   Or was it a macho moment of "stand back little lady, I'll lift that?"  I wasn't sure.

I pondered the interaction on the way home.  Was I just being silly by feeling like he had insulted me?  Should I have felt appreciative for his offer of assistance?  Hmmmmm?  Much to think about.  I had about fifteen minutes before I got home; and that was all the time that I was giving this.  I mulled it around; looked at it from many different directions and came to a conclusion.  It was most definitely not the thing to do.  Anywhere else and it would have been fine; but in the gym where we are all lifting?   No.  I didn't want help; I'm was there lifting weights, you moron.  Did I look like a little frail thing trying to get a weight off the machine that was far out of my range of ability?  Doubtful.  Can you imagine walking up to a guy who is setting up his weights and asking him "need help?"  Pretty big insult.  I had just finished lifting six; I didn't need help lifting one off at a time.
  Okay, let's just say I was at Home Depot struggling to get a large pumpkin into my cart; then it would be appropriate to ask if I'd like some help.  I would have thanked the gentleman for assisting me.  But in the gym lifting, is not the time when a woman wants assistance; unless of course they ask for it.  I have actually asked a guy to get a pully down for me that was waaay out of my reach.  At only 5' 1" there is a lot out of my reach and I am accustom to asking for help then. 

Today at the gym was weird and I still think that it was really weird.  Imagine if I had taken him up on his offer; just standing there watching him lift all the weights off.  I could have painted my nails while I waited.  JK.  It is just very strange to have someone ask if you want them to assist you with lifting weights; when you are in the weight room...lifting weights.  Right? 

If I am going to drop a weight on my head; then yes, please assist me or anyone else in danger.  But as far as asking if a woman needs help lifting when she is in the gym lifting?  Not so much.  Save the chivalry for when I want the machine you are hogging while chatting with your friend.  ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment