Friday, August 8, 2014

Clean eating



On my way through the regular grocery store I look around realizing that everything up and down the isles is processed, so much crap.  I'm on my way to the meat isle for my dogs who eat a real food diet.  I haven't shopped in a regular grocery store forever; I can't even remember when I was in there for something other than meat for Luke and Elsa.  Big grocers have little organic food selection but isle after isle of stuff that we shouldn't eat. 

Yep, I'm one of those health food folks; I like to eat clean when I can.  Sure I have days when I eat things that I shouldn't eat but the better part of my diet is made up of good organic clean food. 
Clean eating is one of the "in" phrases these days.  But what does clean eating really mean?  It means eating real food that is not processed; lots of organic fruits and vegetables along with meat and whole grains.  Processing not only diminishes foods nutritional value but typically adds preservatives and other nasty things that we shouldn't be eating. 

I eat a lot of salads; at least one a day.  My salad is not filled with the empty crunch of iceberg lettuce; no, it has to be dark green with lots of other colors added for more nutrients.  I usually start with Arugula, a daily staple for me and if I can't find organic arugula, I'm pretty cranky.  Add a few organic figs, some organic pearl tomatoes (a favorite of mine), some avocado, cabbage, sunflower seeds, maybe some cashews, fresh picked orange segments from our tree with a side of barbequed wild scallops.  A meal fit for a king, or anyone who is wanting to eat clean. 

Your body needs fuel to run; the more usable nutrients that you put into it, the better.  Here is an article on nutrient density; another "in" term these days.  People who don't eat a healthy diet tend to look at "clean eaters" as those health food types; the people who eat all the green stuff.  But the old ideas of simply not eating to obtain a goal of "skinniness" is very outdated and frankly scary.  Strong, healthy and active is the new skinny; and the way to get there is to fuel your body with clean food and move.

Eating clean is more of a lifestyle choice; it's not a diet.  Choosing to eat clean is a wise decision; when you eat clean you give your body optimal nutrition.  The better you eat the better you feel; it's a win, win really.  Diet is not a word meaning to lose weight; it is simple the food that you fuel your body with.  You can be on many types of diet; and your diet is all about what you are fueling your body with. 

I recently watch part of an episode of extreme couponing.  They may get most of their food free but there was nothing in that cart that was worth eating.  I guess the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies.  Think before you eat, choose the premium blend of fuel; after all you only have this one body.  Be good to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment