Sunday, August 24, 2014

Balance and protection

 
Think hard before taking the next step.  Upping weights or stepping off of a ladder.  :)



Yesterday morning was a good example of why lifting is so very important.   I was about to get into my Xterra and stepped up onto the running bar.  It's not the perfect height to get in flawlessly and I often find myself over or under stepping.  My Xterra isn't quite high enough to need to use the bar, which is the problem.  Yesterday I didn't quite make it again and started to lose my balance; my hands were completely full which made me step without any hands to grab.  Fortunately, I was able to quickly regain my balance and hovered on one foot precariously for quite a while.  In that moment  I realized just how important muscle strength is.  If I didn't lift, I probably would have lost it and tumbled to the driveway.  Feeling strong is great; being strong is even better.

The afternoon brought another possible injury.  I was on a ladder and when I stepped off the third rung (dumb); thinking that I was stepping onto the ground, I hit the edge of a wine crate and had to do the funky chicken so as not to splat onto the ground.  I could feel all my muscles working to help me maintain as well as protect my ankle.  My ankle twisted badly and I thought that maybe I might get a sprain out of my not so graceful misstep.  But I didn't.  My muscles had done their job; they not only stopped me from landing flat on my face but they protected my ankle from turning past the point of no return.  Thank you weights. 

Lifting weights will change the way you look, no doubt.  But, the important part is that you will get strong; being strong is important.  How strong you get from lifting is entirely up to you.  I challenge myself, I always have; but along with the drive to push comes many years of experience, so I know when to stop.  Injuries from lifting too heavy before you are ready, suck.   Before upping a weight I will think long and hard; often standing staring at the weight while I contemplate.   Yesterday was one of those do it or not moments.  I had done several sets of lat pull downs going all the way up to my limit which was 110lbs.  I had set a goal for myself at 120lb; I want to do pull ups so need to prepare for it by being able to pull at least 120lbs. 

I'm short, 5' 1" short; so while I pondered on the next plate up I was standing on the seat of the lat pull down.  I can just barely reach the bar from the group but when I add the big weights I need a good grip which requires more height.  I grabbed the bar and thought some more; I didn't want to pull anything by upping my weight too soon.  It was just a couple of months earlier that I was at 90lbs and here I was already thinking 120lbs.  I got a good grip and dropped down to the seat; where I locked my legs under the padded holders.  I powered out three pull downs and then pushed myself for one more.  I flew into the air as I unlocked my legs; I've never needed the leg bar as much as yesterday.  I was stoked, 4 pull downs with my goal weight had come much quicker than I had anticipated.  I stopped there and moved over to some very light cool down weights. 

Pull ups here we come.  I have more weight to lose before the pull up goal is reached but I'll get there.  I have a fierce coach pushing me, me.      

No comments:

Post a Comment