Monday, March 24, 2014

What's stopping you?



                                 Lifting makes hauling around my huge camera much easier. 

When I look around the gym, I wonder; why do more women not lift?  I have thought about this a lot lately and I think that there are many reasons. The first of course is the misconception of getting bulky.  Lifting weights tones muscle, that's it.  The bulky thing is either extra weight on top of those glorious lean muscles (looking at myself) or steroids.  Yes there are women out there who want to look like men; I don't get it but it's out there like any other disorder.  Even the women who lift heavy and often don't look all ripped and muscled when they are not pumped.  Someone who lifts just looks fit when they are not in the midst of lifting.

I see a big obstacle when I look at images of people lifting in advertisements.  All muscled up and rippling; it is too much for the average Joe or Josephine.  It is a turn off to many, they don't want to look like that.  I wish more people knew that you don't have to look like that.  Lifting is a great way to build strength; the glistening muscle is how far you take lifting. 

Second, I think a lot of people think that their work out is great, why change?  Getting in a rut is easy; getting out, not so much.  I know because I too get into ruts that I force myself out of.  Deciding to lift means learning something new; which in itself means change.  Many people are not up for change; and the older you get the worse that gets.  But the older you get the more you should lift.  Lifting is easy, once you learn the basics it's just the matter of getting it done.

Another obstacle is the gym itself.  I know that most gyms are set up with all the lighter equipment on one side with the free weights and heavier equipment on the other. No matter if you are a man or a woman; stepping into the lifting zone can be intimidating.  I think that is a huge factor in people not lifting.  You just have to do it; take a big breath and go in.  Get in there and lift.  Lifting does not mean that you have to lift heavy.  There are light weights in that intimidation area.  You can lift light until you are ready or even want to lift more.  Lifting is not about using the heaviest of weights. 

Treadmills and elliptical are not going to build the muscle that you need.  The other day I noticed a long timer at the gym.  She was rolling around on one of those big balls; looked like fun but she was doing nothing as far as getting into shape.  Same goes for all those people riding away on their elliptical machines.  They're all going for a ride on the magic machines and getting nowhere; nowhere as far as getting fit and strong.  These things have become a crutch for many as far as the idea of working out. 

Great article on working out and how to get the most of it. 

Lifting will make you strong, amp up your metabolism and enable you to do things that you maybe haven't done for years.  It is also a very special workout that can be personalized like no other.  Got some problem spots you want to get rid of?  You can pick and choose what to work on that will create the look you are going for.  If you have issues like I do with my neck and shoulders after numerous read end collisions, you can work around them.  By using strategic exercises you can help weak areas to become strong again. 

It's not all about grunting (although I'm sure I do on occasion) and glistening ripped muscle.  It's about getting strong, feeling strong and doing what you want.  Not get your gym clothes on and get going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment