Friday, November 11, 2016

Lifting weights is smart.



I'm watching the sun come up as I write which is one of my favorite things to do.  The start of a new day.  Where will your day take you?  Mine is taking me to the gym as soon as I finish writing this, downing my coffee and eating my Perfect Bar.

I want all of you woman and men who are nearing 50 and don't work out to lift.  It doesn't matter if you've never lifted a lb. in your life before.  Start lifting today.  We are all going in the same direction and we are all going to lose muscle mass so we all need to "use it or lose it."

The last year has been a challenge for my lifting but I have not stop.  My ankle injury is still present, it is a split tendon and it's not healing so there will be a needed surgery when I have the time for some major downtime recovery, yuck.  The idea of not going to the gym freaks me out.  It's not the actual gym that I'll miss, but whats in the gym.  I love lifting, I love challenging myself and I love being strong.

Just because you are aging does not mean that you can't lift.  What it does mean is that you should be lifting.  All I can tell you is how I feel when I lift vs. don't.  Lifting gives you the ability to do things that you can't do when you don't lift.  Just imagine for a moment, a huge big crane is trying to lift some commercial beams up to high level floors of a building.  Unfortunately the crane is made of light gauge cord.  It can't lift the heavy beams without being damaged.  Right beside that flimsy crane is a big strong crane with strong cables that can do the job and do it easily.

I'm always trying to come up with an analogy that will hit a cord with those sitting on the fence about lifting.  You do not have to go to the gym to get strong, but you do have to lift.  A lot of people I talk to tell me that they walk!  Walking is great but it is just walking.  If you want to get strong you MUST lift.

Age is a number, that's it.  If you have never lifted before, start today.  Getting strong is a process.  You cannot grab a 50lb. dumbbell today and expect to do what the seasoned pros are doing. You have to start small and grow slowly if you want to do it wisely and without injury.  I often hand people weights that seem far too light in the beginning.  It is better to achieve success rather than fail in the beginning.  This helps to create a passion for more instead of suffering from the all too common "this is too hard and I can barely walk."

Well, I'm off to the gym.  Have a wonderful day.  Go lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment