Monday, June 2, 2014

Motivation, we all need it.



What motivates you?  Perhaps the idea of being able to do physical things that you couldn't do before?  Maybe wearing the jeans that have been sitting at the back of your closet for a couple of years?  Feeling better?  Whatever motivates you, use it.  Everyone needs motivation; now and again you just need a little kick start to get back at it.  A need for motivation can often be seen by a plateau.  You feel like you are working so hard but you've plateaued.  

Plateau - a period or state of little or no growth or decline. 

Motivation can come in many different forms.  Sometimes new workout gear is enough.  I have bought a new shirt or pants to work out in that have been just enough to get me excited about going to the gym; a little retail therapy can work wonders for your exercise regime.  Other times I just need motivation on the day of my workout.  You know those "I don't feel like working out," moments?  On those days I simply get dressed for the gym and then feel great that I'm going.  

You may need motivation to get started working out or to continue; whatever you need it for, find it.  If you are one of those people who are motivated by weight loss, get on the scale.  Just a pound or two can keep you going.  Maybe those pants that you couldn't fit into now fit; that is huge, don't underestimate the power of fitting into your clothes.

As far as lifting is concerned; improved strength, balance, posture, metabolism and general health should in themselves motivate.  I know that when I am faced with a physical challenge and concur it with ease because of my improved strength, I am motivated to continue.  Age alone often motivates me; I don't want to become a mushy, weak old person and I know that it won't happen by sitting on the couch.  

Everyone needs motivation; find yours.  Now go lift for life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment